This past week has been really fun. Besides classes and the norm, I did some sight seeing around Madrid. One day, I went to the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum of Art, in Madrid. It is a really famous art museum. Years ago, this one man collected TONS of art, over the years, and when he died, his family turned it into an art museum. The art spans many different time periods throughout history, and is from all over the place, not just Spain. There is a lot of Gothic and Dutch pieces, and it begins with old medieval art symbolism, and then you witness a change in the pieces when you move on to the Renaissance, and then Modernism and Impressionism. One of my favorite pieces was an Edward Hooper piece, called Hotel Room. He explores the isolationism of the modern world, and it was just fantastic. You can really feel the bland hotel room surrounding her, and her loneliness.
Another piece that I enjoyed was this one: Esau Selling his Birthright. I know the picture is small, so it is difficult to see, but the way the light from the candle is shaping around the room is really cool. In this scene, Esau is selling his birthright, for some food, because he is really hungry. I think it was a story in the bible. But the detail was really impressive too. The way the artist painted the faces of the boys, they both have a distinctive look to themselves, but there are some similarities, and you can tell they are brothers. I just like the way it looks, and I really like how he did the candle light.That's all to report for now. I am going to be having some visitors coming. One of my friends from High School is in today (she's studying in Paris), so I am going to give her a call and probably site see some more. Then next week, my friend Roxie from DePaul is coming for the week, and we are going to do the same thing probably. Also, while she is here, we are going to see La Bella y La Bestia (Beauty and the Beast) on stage, and translated into Spanish. So that will be fun as well.
Love You All!
-Ryan
No comments:
Post a Comment