
We'll apparently I live in the plains, cause its raining cats and dogs today. Luckily a bought an umbrella (paragua) at the Rastro last week (the flee market) for 2 euros, so I was prepared. I was planning on going to Retiro Park, this huge park across the street from my study abroad program where I take 1 of my classes, just to sit and read and enjoy it, but unfortunately, the weather had other plans. Instead, I went to a Chinese restaurant, by myself, and enjoyed a nice meal and read my book. I was curious to see how Chinese food in Spain was. Pretty similar, the egg rolls where kind of rectangular and flat, the fried rice had ham in it (ham is HUGE in Spain), and the rest was good. It was nice to have some alone time and read for pleasure; its not often I'm completely alone with so many roommates and so many people in my program.
This weekend was pretty great. We went to Segovia, and got to see the aqueducts (acueductos) which are the oldest/most complete in all of Europe (it was built just about 50 years after Jesus died, and is still intact). Then we took a guided tour of the city, leading to el Alcázar de Segovia. Years ago, when Walt Disney saw this castle, he was inspired by it, and based Sleeping Beauty's Castle off of it. It was really cool, as you can see in my pictures.
Ya, I went jousting later. It was really nice and cool, and later we had lunch in the city. Their specialty is Suckling Pig, which was interesting. Many of the girls in our group were morally opposed to eating it. But it tasted like chicken, just more rich. All in all, it was a really cool city.
That was Sunday. Then on Saturday, I woke up early to go to mass with my Senora. We went to the Basilica down the street, which was HUGE. Couldn't believe how BIG it was. And I'm pretty sure there was under 100 people at mass lol. A large percentage of the population is Catholic, but the attendance rate is awful. Anyways, it was really nice. Only 30 minutes (no music), but it just felt good to go...something I could relate to from home. Afterward, my roommate and I went to el Rastro. In case you don't remember, it is the largest Flee Market in Europe. It was HUGE. I went later in the afternoon, which is a bad idea since it was packed and hard to move around. I only bought my umbrella (paragua), but I am planning on going back next week to check it out. You might be getting some gifts from the Ratro when I come back in December (don't worry, it's nice. I think it's stolen lol). I'm planning on buying this hoodie that I saw there last week, since it's starting to get cooler and I would like to have some options (don't worry mom, all the stuff I brought is warm).
Later that night, I went to......
EL PARTIDO DE FUTBOL DE REAL MADRID. It was SOO cool. Our seats were up high, but you could see everything. Before, there were just tons of people in the streets, and the game was nuts. The stadium can hold 80,400, and it was pretty full. They were playing Atletico de Balboa, and that is only an hour away, so there were many fans. My senora lent me her sons old scarf to wear. They all wear them to represent their teams. His was an ultra, which is like a hardcore Real Madrid fan. They all sit in the same section, and are the most roudy and loud and dirty fans. She told me that when I was walking around in it, people would see it and have respect for me, because it was old and an ultra scarf. Heres a vid of the game and stadium. Final score was 3-2, but unfortunately I didn't capture a goal on camera.
Well thats all to report for now. Oh, except for the nobility of my Family I am living with.
They come from the descendant of this guy named Jorge. When he was 20, he was part of a group of scientists that proved scientifically that the earth is round. They went by boat, and were able to measure the equator, and then measured the circumfrence of the earth far north of the equator. Since the second number was smaller, and also mathematically the number it would be if the world was round, it proved the earth was round, not flat. Also, the family is currently friends with the King and Queen of Spain, and also the Christopher Columbus family (or as he is known here, Cristobol Colon). They've got lots of books and nich nachs, and a very nice home.
All for now. Love you all.
1 comment:
Hi Ryan,
It is really great to read and see about your experiences.
Love,
Dad
Post a Comment