First off, I forgot to let you guys know that I got a haircut last week. I was a little apprehensive about it, because I am very particular about how it gets cut, and I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to explain it correctly. It's funny, I can conjugate verbs into many different verb tenses, and explain in what circumstances you use the words, but I never learned fork, spoon, knife, or how to get a haircut. That's been one of the nice things, learning a bunch of little words here and there, and getting a better rounded vocabulary. Plus just practicing daily. Well, when I sat down, I explained that I wanted it buzzed on the sides, and cut with scissors (finger-length) on top. And she understood. I also told her that I wanted "Ashley Garbarczyk" quality, and she must have understood that too cause the haircut looks really good. lol you're famous worldwide Ash.

This past weekend was nice too. I stayed in on Friday night and watched a movie with my roommates on our laptops (DVDs from the United States won't play on European DVD players, because it is different coding). Then on Saturday, I decided to go on this walking tour from my guidebook. Basically, it gives you a map, with different places to stop, and you follow the route. You can read up about each place you stop at, and it was really great.

I got off at La Latina on the Metro, and then walked by the Royal Palace, and some cathedrals, and Plaza de EspaƱa. I started at about 6 o'clock, which was later, but it worked out well, because one of the first places it had me go was this little park that overlooks a large part of the city, and is perfect for sunset, and it was about that time. It was beautiful, but unfortunately because it was so bright, you can't see everything. Then I toured these catacombs in the la Cathedral de la Almundena next to la Palacia Real (Royal Palace). You could see the Cathedral, on the side of a cliff, really well from that park I saw the sunset, and it was an amazing view/photo.

Also next to the Cathedral, was the Muralla Arabe (Arab Wall). It is the only moorish part of the city left, besides the name Madrid (which comes from the word Mayrit). After that, I headed down to the Royal Palace. In between the Cathedral and the Royal Palace, is this big square, and in the square they were setting up for today's holiday in Spain, Dia de la Almundena. It was this large statue of Mary and the baby Jesus, and people were bringning flowers, and they would place the flowers on this LARGE display. You'll understand when you see the pictures I attach at the end.




After the Royal Palace, I walked through the Plaza de Oriente, to the Teatro Real (Royal Theatre). I walked by a couple more buildings which were all cool, then I ended up at Plaza de Espana. It was really cool, because there is a large monument in the middle, and I had visited it before when I was here. It is a monument to Cervante, who wrote Don Quixote. First time I saw it, I had no idea what it was. They just pilled us out of a bus, showed us it, we snapped some pictures, and then we left. It was much cooler actually knowing what it was, choosing to go there on my own, and then knowing where it was in relation to where I live and the rest of the city.



I took the train back, and then me and my roommate went to go see Quemar Despues de Leer at the local cine. For those of you who don't know, that is Burn After Reading, the new Cohen Brother's movie with Brad Pitt and George Clooney. It took a while to find a movie theatre that plays movies in English, since most are dubbed into Spanish. This one had Spanish subtitles. A fun fact is that in Spain, when they dub movies, there are particular actors who dub for particular actors. IE there is a Spaniard who always dubs for George Clooney, so that when you see him in multiple roles, its always the same voice. The movie was REALLY good, and it was great to do something that felt familiar (popcorn and soda, and a movie in English).
For dinner, I had the most delicious thing EVER. We decided to have lunch that day, instead of dinner (we are allowed either lunch or dinner), so dinner was on our own. We stumbled across this Turkish restaurant, which specialized in Doner Kebabs. Its like a gyro, but a different kind of lamb, and different toppings and sauces. IT WAS AMAZING. I could not believe how tasty it was. When we heard it, we were all like "Kebab?" Now we are like "Kebab!"

Last night, I went to the REAL MADRID Futbol game again. They were playing Real Union, for the Copa del Rey, and unfortunately they lost. But the seats were unbelievable. Second row, dead center. I was 10 feet from the grass. It was intense, and awesome. I've developed an appreciation for soccer, which I never had before lol.

Well, the picture upload thing is not wanting to work right now, so I am unable to post pictures. I'll try posting later, and hopefully it will work. I've been having trouble doing it on facebook sometimes too, I think it might just be because I am international right now. Tonight, my friend Roxie is going to arrive, and a bunch of my friends, her, and I are going to see La Bella y La Bestia (beauty and the beast in spanish, on stage). Hopefully it shall be great.
1 comment:
Thanks for the shout out... Someone has a free haircut coming when he gets home! LoL :) miss you
Post a Comment